My Less Lofty Thoughts Are Here

Thursday, October 25, 2012

My Platform

Being in the middle of the country is an advantage when it comes to making political decisions. Living in one of the states that doesn't even rock, much less swing, means that we are overlooked when national candidates are deciding where to spend their campaign money.

As Martha Stewart would say, that's a good thing.

Over the years I've come to realize that choosing a candidate is much like choosing a church: There never is a single choice that exactly matches my beliefs and convictions, much less my tastes and preferences. This one doesn't sing enough of the old hymns, that one puts too much emphasis on programs and not enough on evangelism, the one over there does that weird hand-holdy thing that makes me squirm. This candidate is cutting aid to education, that one is raising taxes, and SAVE OUR AQUARIUM!

In this, my tenth vote for a president of the United States, it occurs to me that I have an ideal candidate in mind. Here's what he believes in:

1. He believes we have a responsibility to care for the poor, sick, and hungry.

2. He believes that the person who can work should work.

3. He wants every person to use every talent, no matter whether that person is hugely talented or minimally talented, whether that person is white or non-white, whether that person is a he or a she.

4. He does everything in his power to protect the powerless, and knows that peace comes from both strength and compassion.

5. He hears everyone, not just the loudest voices or those with the most money.

And when I write them out like this, I realize that my politics are not party-linked--I'm casting my vote for the person who most resembles the Rebel Jesus.

Which candidate would that be?



1 comment:

  1. I am in perfect agreement with your criteria, but more importantly, although I considered myself a regular Jackson Brown fangirl, I'd never heard Rebel Jesus. It's like an early Christmas gift! Thanks! I'm enjoying this blog.

    ReplyDelete