My Less Lofty Thoughts Are Here

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

The Perfect Accompanist

Last week, when Boy#3 presented his trombone recital in Small Town, I was at the piano. I had been his accompanist since he started taking lessons in fourth grade, and he is such a sweetie that he wanted me on the bench one last time now that he's graduating from college with a performance degree.

Unfortunately, I am not a great piano player. I'm okay, and I will completely own the fact that I am an AWESOME sightreader. But my best asset as a pianist is that I'm willing to do it, not that I embody brilliance at the keyboard.

Three knew this, and he chose pieces to play at his hometown recital that mostly catered to my semi-competence. A couple of Handel pieces, another selection that was unaccompanied. But the final piece, the show-stopper, was hard. (Or, as I whined to Husband, it was HAAAAAAARD.)

I practiced and practiced and practiced, and still it was not perfect. On the night of the performance Three had to wait for me to catch up a couple of times, and I know that he didn't sound as good as he could have. He was supporting me instead of the other way around. But we ended at the same time so I called the performance a success.

A few days later Three gave his senior recital at his own university, this time with a professional accompanist. She was quite simply amazing. Taking the same notes I had practiced, she was in control of the music and played it perfectly. As a result, Three was freed to just play without worrying whether she could keep up or would know what to do, and his own performance was elevated immeasurably.

It struck me that this contrast is a good illustration of my spiritual life.

I have chosen to follow God, the One who is in control, perfect, and loves me without limit. And in spite of KNOWING that He is in control, perfect, and loves me without limit, I sometimes feel I need to support God, as if He weren't playing His part perfectly. I don't use the gifts He's given me as fully as I could or should because I am not trusting that He's doing His part to support me.

Isn't that ridiculous? If I lean on the non-divine aspects of my life there's always the chance they'll let me down. My job, my talents, my family and friends--they're wonderful, and I love each of these, but they can't be perfect. Only God frees me to do my absolute best, without worry that He won't be able to do His part or fulfill His promises.

I need to lean on him--He's the perfect accompanist.

1 comment:

  1. And I'm just a listener. he he.

    Nice post and thanks for the comment on my blog.
    Interesting that Mike Haddock is a classmate.
    My mother was raised in Jewell County and went to high school in Mankato. My dad was from Superior, Nebraska. I have been to Beloit many times.
    Greg.

    ReplyDelete